How to run a company blog effectively?
29 April 2022
Publishing on one’s own website has been used for years to build the reach of the site and to increase sales. There is no doubt that this is a noteworthy method, as it achieves good results both in terms of search engine positioning and lead generation. In our article, we answer the question of how to do this effectively.
We are FASTSITE, we create products that achieve our clients’ goals online. We accompany companies, influencers and NGOs in building their brand online. This article is part of a series on developing your online visibility. Read also:
- Content marketing is more than a company blog
- Popular website design mistakes
- Trends in online marketing in 2022
- Website development in 2022 – trends
How do you get high search engine rankings?
For several years now, the online marketing world has been conjugating the acronym ‘E-A-T’ through all cases, which, as of 2018, defines Google’s standards for online content positioning. The expression is derived from three words:expertise, authority, and trustworthiness.These three buzzwords somehow define the search engine’s approach to displaying content by keyword.
- Expertise – in a nutshell, this means entries armed with relevant keywords that address the needs of your audience. It is therefore content relating to the industry in which the company operates. Among other things, this is why, when we are in the business of creating a web presence for companies, we write guides on the subject.
- Authority – this is the term used to describe the recognition by the public of and reference to the content created through commenting, quoting, linking or other forms of mentioning. As a rule, however, this boils down to obtaining so-called backlinks, i.e. citations in other articles, which increase the weight of the content in the eyes of search engine algorithms.
- Trustworthiness – while the previous two factors boost search rankings, credibility keeps it relevant. In other words, all the positive feedback and reviews keep the search engine convinced that the services provided by the company are of a high standard.
Thus, the successful operation of a company blog requires adaptation to the rules set by the most important search engine, Google. Especially as other tools in this respect are extremely consistent with the leading search engine. In doing so, it is worth noting that these three aspects of content creation are primarily concerned with positioning and promoting content for search, we will expand on this perspective in the following section.
How frequently should you publish content?
This is quite a natural question, to which there is no clear answer. All advice on frequency answering directly can be treated like a magic spell, such as these: “Whoever publishes on the fourth day after the full moon, will be top 10 before the noon.”. So how do you properly approach the publishing frequency aspect and plan a blogging schedule?
In our opinion, regularity is the key to everything; in our experience, frequency is of secondary importance here. The systematic appearance of content forms habits among regular viewers and makes them visit the site regularly in anticipation of a new post. This is one of the reasons why many blogs follow a strict publication schedule, for example every Thursday at 11 a.m. This way, regular readers know exactly when new content will appear and look at the site to generate organic traffic.
This is why it is advisable to adopt a single publishing model taking into account one’s own capacities; failure to meet deadlines hinders the formation of a permanent audience base and thus limits reach. Therefore, it is better to publish less frequently, but cyclically, than to share content in waves. This is not easy, as can be seen from our blog (we are working on making it better).
How do you build authority and gain backlinks?
As we have already mentioned, Google’s standards attach great importance to the authority of the domain on which the content is published, the higher the better the position in Google. By taking care with the selection of keywords, it is possible to achieve a top position in the search engine and, for example, display on the first page of searches for a specific keyword. By doing so, your business is reached by customers looking for a particular service at a specific time and place, it really works.
However, it takes a lot of effort to ensure authority and high positioning. Of course, this can be outsourced to external providers specialising in SEO, but this can be costly and risky, especially if the provider uses methods that are undesirable in the eyes of Google. However, we will write more about this in another article, so let’s get back to doing it yourself.
Backlink acquisition, also known as outreach, is a relatively new field of internet marketing that is 3-4 years old. It is particularly popular on the English-speaking Internet, but it is also becoming more common in Poland. We will undoubtedly devote a separate article to it. Outreach activities include guest posts and digital PR, which are discussed in more detail below:
- Guests posts – publishing original articles on other domains with links to your content. Some industry blogs are happy to accept content from external sources in return for including a link in the content of such a post. The higher the Domain Authority / Domain Rating, the stronger the impact on domain positioning.
- Press releases – Digital PR – i.e. the distribution of a press release with a link to the original blog post, where interesting, unique information has been included that may give rise to a press article or blog post. Established press titles and media with an online presence generally have a high authority in the eyes of Google, so a mention and link from their domains is very valuable.
Of course, these are not the only methods of obtaining links from external domains, but we will write more extensively about this whole procedure in an entry dedicated to outreach.
We are delighted that you have reached the end of our short guide to effective blogging. We hope that the tips we have presented have encouraged you to test out new methods of running your company blog. We will soon be publishing further posts on outreach and undesirable SEO (Black Hat SEO) practices, which will give you even more insight into the ins and outs of running a company blog.
We know very well how much effort it takes to publish content regularly, so we want you to do it effectively. If you have found our content helpful please share it, and if we have inspired you to make changes to your website please let us know. We would be happy to share our ideas with you in a consultation meeting. So feel free to contact us via our chatbot, we will reply as soon as possible!